How to pay 

How To Pay Your Rent

The rent for your home, including any service charges, is in due on the first day of every month. If you do not keep your rent payments up to date, you could lose your home


How can I pay my rent?

We want to make it as easy as possible for you to keep up to date with your rent and can offer you a range of ways you can pay, depending on which is most convenient for you.

Whichever method you chose, you will always need to quote your Tenancy Sequence Number (TSN). You may also need your property reference number and the surname of the first person named in the tenancy agreement. For example, if your joint tenancy is in the name of John Smith and Diane Brown, you will need to quote Smith. This will help us to allocate your payment to your rent account.

If you don’t know these details, please contact your Housing Officer or another member of our team by calling 01284 767224.

Ways to payDirect Debit

Direct Debit – you can set up a direct debit so that your rent is paid automatically from your bank account on the 1st of the month. We will be able to send you a direct debit form, which you will need to return to us after you have filled in all of your details, including your TSN and property reference (for example TSN54321 and 187_001_006). It will take at least two weeks to activate the direct debit after we have received the form so you will need to ensure that you pay your rent using one of the methods below until it is set up.

Standing Order – you can arrange for a regular payment to be made by standing order. You can choose the payment amount and the date you want it to leave your account. You can set up a standing order using internet banking, by visiting your bank, or we can send you a form which you will need to complete and return to your bank. You will also need our Sort Code, which is 30-64-22, our bank account number, which is 34050268, and your TSN to set up the standing order.

At our office – you can pay by credit/debit card at our offices at Suffolk Housing, Coppice House, 5 Greenwood Court, Bury St Edmunds  IP32 7GY. We are open from 8.30am to 5.30pm on Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 5pm on Fridays. Please note we do not accept cash payments

Online – you can visit our website and pay online using your credit or debit card

Using a PayPoint Card – you can pay at any shop displaying the PayPoint sign. Please get in touch if you would like to do this and we will arrange for a PayPoint card to be sent to you

By Phone – you can call us on 01284 767224 and pay using your debit/credit card. We are open from 8.30am to 5.30pm on Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 5pm on Fridays.

Direct Bank Transfer – you will need our bank Sort Code, which is 30-64-22, and our account number, which is 34050268, to use online or telephone banking make payments. You will need to enter your tenancy sequence number in the reference box, followed by your surname

If you have any questions about ways to pay your rent please feel free to:

Getting Help With Your Housing Costs

Depending on your circumstances you may be able to get help to pay your housing costs. This may come from Housing Benefit, which is dealt with by your local authority (council) or Universal Credit which is claimed online

To determine whether you should claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, please check on this website

Universal Credit is a benefit that is being rolled out in East Anglia from October 2017 for people who are of a working age and receive any of the following benefits:

It applies to new Job Seeker claimants or people who need to make a new claim for any of the benefits listed above following a change of circumstances. Universal Credit is replacing and combining all of these benefits into a single monthly payment which is paid directly into the claimants account each month, like a salary.

The Universal Credit payment can include an allowance for housing costs and claimants are responsible for making sure their rent is paid in full to their landlord. We would recommend that tenants who receive Universal Credit pay their rent to Suffolk Housing as soon as they receive their benefit each month to make sure that they do not get into rent arrears and risk losing their home.

More information about Universal Credit can be found on our website

Housing Benefit is only paid from the date you move in, so you must make your claim as soon as possible. You can ask for the payment to be made directly to Suffolk Housing on your behalf. If there is a shortfall between the amount you are awarded and your rent, you will need to make up the difference.

If you are moving from one rented property to another, you may be able to get housing benefit on both properties for a short time and should contact your local council to ask for more details.

If your circumstances change while you are claiming housing benefit, you must tell the council straight away so that they can adjust the amount you receive. This includes:

If you have any questions about ways to pay your rent or getting help with your housing costs please




Website by Affinity