Universal Credit 

 Universal Credit is a benefit that is being rolled out in East Anglia from October 2017 for people who are of a working age and receive any of the following benefits:

It applies to new Job Seeker claimants or people who need to make a new claim for any of the benefits listed above following a change of circumstances. Universal Credit is replacing and combining all of these benefits into a single monthly payment which is paid directly into the claimants account each month, like a salary.

The Universal Credit payment can include an allowance for housing costs and claimants are responsible for making sure their rent is paid in full to their landlord. We would recommend that tenants who receive Universal Credit pay their rent to Suffolk Housing as soon as they receive their benefit each month to make sure that they do not get into rent arrears and risk losing their home.

More information about Universal Credit can be found online

What is Universal Credit – This short video sets out how Universal Credit will help to make work pay, the support that claimants will get and what will be expected in return https://youtu.be/E7GUu7Xa7Nw

Universal Credit full service overview – Video that gives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgJU8Y_bQg

Universal Credit, your eligibility and how to claim, click here.

Getting ready for Universal CreditFind out how ready you are. By answering the following questions now, you’ll know if there are important changes you need to make and advice on what you need to do to prepare for Universal Credit http://ucpp.dwp.gov.uk/universal-credit-preparation/

How to make a claim

To make a claim you will need to have access to the internet and a

You will need to fill in a claim form online. If you need help to complete this form, you can call the Universal Credit helpline on 0345 600 0723, which is open on Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm (or text phone 0345 600 0743).

Other sources of information and advice

entitledto- What are you entitled to? Are you missing out on help? Use this benefits calculator to check what benefits you are entitled to  https://www.entitledto.co.uk/


Citizens Advice (CAB)

Telephone 03444 111 444 or online


Money Advice Service Free and impartial money advice, set up by government

Telephone 0800 138 7777 and online


Step Change The UK’s leading debt charity to get expert debt advice and fee-free debt management to help you tackle your debts

Telephone 0800 138 1111 or online https://www.stepchange.org

Turn2us  A national charity that helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/


If you receive Universal Credit you may also be able to get some extra support by visiting this web site: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-other-benefits-quick-guide/extra-support-for-universal-credit-claimants



Website by Affinity