Your home 


May I buy my home?

You may qualify for the right to acquire scheme. This gives you the legal right to buy the home you currently rent.

The property you live in must have been built or purchased by the Suffolk Housing on or after 1st April 1997 and must have been funded using social housing grant provided by the Housing Corporation or a local authority. We can advise you if this is the case.

As well as occupying a qualifying property, you must also have been a public sector tenant for a certain time depending on when your first tenancy started. You will not be eligible if you are bankrupt or have a bankrupt petition pending against you, are the subject of a possession order served by the court or subject to a formal creditor’s agreement made under the Insolvency Act.

The discounts you would receive are fixed by the government and the amount you receive will depend on where you live. The discounts currently range from £9,000 to £16,000.

For more information regarding the right to acquire, please contact our customer services team on 01284 767224.


A relative who was a tenant has just passed away. Do I have any rights to the property?

When a tenant dies and leaves members of the family living in the property, it is possible for certain family members to succeed to the tenancy. To find out more please refer to your tenancy agreement and contact your Housing Officer.


Do I need permission to keep pets?

Yes – please contact your Housing Officer if you are thinking of getting a pet, we would not expect you to apply for permission to keep a goldfish or hamster but we do expect you to ask our permission to keep most other types of pet.  The Society is generally supportive of the wish of its residents to keep pets providing they do so responsibly, however, we will only allow residents to keep pets that we consider are suitable and in such numbers as we think reasonable. There may also be certain housing schemes where we will not consider it appropriate for pets to be kept. We have an application form that we expect you to complete that gives us details of the pet. You will not be allowed to keep a pet until we have received the application and consent forms, and, formally approved the request.


Do I need permission to put up a shed in my garden?

You will need to get written permission from your housing officer in order to be allowed to put up a shed in your garden.


I have noticed an empty Suffolk Housing Society property. May I have it?

If you see an empty property, and wonder why no-one is living there, it may be because work is being carried out on it, or people have moved out but their tenancy has not yet ended. It may also be because someone has just left without telling us. If you suspect this may be the case, please let us know because there will always be someone who needs the property.

All our empty homes are let through local Choice Based Lettings schemes, there are several in East Anglia which are run by the Local Borough and District Councils.  The systems are managed by the Councils but accessible via the internet.  Please visit the website which is relevant for the area you want to live: – Cambridge City, South Cambridgeshire, East Cambridgeshire, Forest Heath, St. Edmundsbury, Huntingdonshire, Fenland, Braintree, Colchester, Ipswich, Maldon, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk Coastal and Waveney – Norwich City Council – North Norfolk District Council


What should I do if my bins have not been emptied?

If your bins have not been emptied, please contact your local council.


May I install a satellite dish or TV aerial?

You may only install a satellite dish or TV aerial if you have obtained written permission from your housing officer.


We have a new baby arriving and will be very tight for space. Can we have a new house?

You will need to contact the relevant agency in your area to apply for a new home find a home.  They will advise you what will happen next. We would be grateful if you could also tell your housing officer of such changes.


How much notice do I need to give to end my tenancy?

If you are on a monthly tenancy you must give one full calendar months’ notice to end your tenancy, if you are on a weekly tenancy the notice period is four weeks.  Please refer to your tenancy agreement.  You must write to Suffolk Housing at our office in Bury St. Edmunds, explaining that you wish to end your tenancy.  Please make sure the notice is signed and dated and remember: you are liable for rent and all outgoings on the property until the end of your notice period, so please be in touch straightaway if you have found somewhere else to live.




Website by Affinity